Friday, November 11, 2005

More than meets the eye

I got 32 rows of the snowflake illusion scarf done last night, and it is so much fun! A few tips.....
1. There is no listed needle size on the pattern--use whatever your yarn calls for. I'm using Red Heart, which calls for size 8 needles.
2. Start the chart with the white yarn, or whatever color you want the snowflakes to be.
3. Knit all the odd rows (which is confusing when you start the chart because on the even rows the blank squares are supposed to be purled) i.e.: knit on the right side, work pattern on the wrong side.

My aunt wondered how this pattern works up, and I had to actually start it before I figured it out myself. The pattern shows up because the knit stitches lay flat and the purl ridges stand up, so when you lay the scarf flat and look across it, you just see the purl bumps. Very cool.

2 Comments:

At 9:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ciao dall'Italia!

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger The mini ninja said...

Lori, I totally got hooked on knitting this weekend. My friend advised me to buy looms to make it easier, more accurate, and faster, so I made a 6.5 ft. ivory chenille scarf for my mom! (And silly me, even though it took 16 HOURS to make, I'm taking it apart because there's a part of it that's too loose! I wish I knew how to repair it instead of redoing the whole thing!) Anyway, I just have to vent and say that knitters may be great crafters, but they are horrible writters. (Not you, of course, not you.) Maybe it's just because looms are pretty new, but I had the time of my life trying to find directions on line. I ended up spending 3 hours figuring it out myself, lol.

ANYWAY, I'm now making a beautiful, plush suede scarf for my dad. This is so cool!

P.S. If you know of any good books for looms, send the titles my way!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home