Sunday, February 25, 2007

Tomorrow Sir B goes in for surgery, and coincidentally it will be exactly one month before "D-day" (the one year anniversary of Mom's death). I am a bit more panicked and weepy than I should be over his gallbladder surgery, gladly my Dad will be there to sit with me, and I plan on bringing anything I can think of to work on/play with to keep my mind occupied in the waiting room. Knitting, iPod, Nintendo DS, maybe a book.

I haven't started a new knitting project yet, and am slowing down on the quilts. Yesterday I seamed the backing flannel, and hope to start pinning all the layers together this week.

The weather didn't allow for us to go to Rockford this weekend, rain and snow were almost constant. We ran some errands here in Freeport, and went to the local bookstore, Book World, so SIr B could get some reading material. I was perusing the magazines and overheard the following conversation...someone called in looking for a book on witchcraft, which they didn't carry. After the saleswoman got off the phone, she turned to the guy she was working with and told him the subject matter the customer was looking for. She asked if they could even order something like that for someone, and right away he answered "No". She said, "Yeah, if we were to start carrying subject matter like that I'd oppose it, this is a mostly Christian community". I so wanted to go over and say something to them about how ignorant they were, but I just fumed and walked away. Business owners are always complaining that people do more shopping in Rockford than Freeport, and I wanted to say this is why! I usually don't set foot in that bookstore, and I won't ever go there again. Just because they wouldn't help get that customer get the book they were looking for doesn't mean they won't get it, they'll go elsewhere or online. I had to laugh when I looked at their "Religion" section...half of it was bibles, and the rest were Christian books with one book on the Kabbalah. Wow. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Christians or any other religion, I just don't like hearing how people in a service industry will go out of their way to not help you if they think what you want is "wrong". Arg, I need to let. this. go.

Anyhoo, over the next month I decided to do some entries on memories of my Mom, using the journal "Angel Catcher" by Kathy and Amy Eldon for inspiration. I can't believe it's been a year. My how the time flies.

2 Comments:

At 9:00 AM, Blogger Mindy said...

Sending happy thoughts your way. I hope the surgery goes smoothly.

I am with you on the book store. Stores are there to garner business not turn it away.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

Hope things go well for you and Sir B! I know this must be a really tough time for you, and this dreary weather certainly doesn't improve the spirits!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home