Wednesday, August 13, 2008

New Yarn Store

From Freeport Journal-Standard:

Knit One, Purl Two
In the heart of downtown, Kathy Heller put down her knitting Monday to tell the story of how she came to Freeport, saying she never ever dreamed she’d open another store again. “I was just ready to close up my other store, in Conover Square,” in Oregon, she said.
But a stop at Mary’s Mantle on Chicago Avenue turned her on to the open storefront across the street, at 15 S. Chicago. She got building owner Cal Wescott’s name and went to talk to him. “And to make a long story short, here I am,” she said. Her new store is called “One More Row,” and is a knitting and crocheting business. Heller, of Mount Morris, opened her doors Friday, even though she doesn’t have all her supplies yet. She plans on adding classes, too. She really likes the feel of downtown Freeport.“Where I was I was in Conover Square, in Oregon, in the old piano factory, it was a pretty jumping place once, but not anymore,” she said.
It will be a few more weeks before she’s really up and running the way she wants. She doesn’t even have a telephone for the business yet, she said. But passers-by are poking in their heads in anyway, she said. Heller was astounded by the number of people who strolled into her store during the Music on Chicago event Friday. “I’m not exaggerating. I had more people come in that one night — basically asking, showing interest, wanting to know about classes — than I had in a year in Oregon. And I’m not even exaggerating about that,” Heller, 57, said. She taught herself how to work with knitting and crochet needles 37 years ago, she said.
“I call it my therapy,” she said.


Man! They opened on my birthday! That would've been fun to check it out on opening day, but I plan on heading over there tomorrow to see it.

P.S. I know, the writing is atrocious. Our newspaper is known for its journalists with poor grammar and writing styles. I've had two articles written about me in this paper, and I wish I could've just written them myself, at least the information would've been correct. The last article that was out was an embarassment for me, so many things were stated incorrectly.

1 Comments:

At 8:27 AM, Blogger Holly said...

The Journal Standard....my father used to say that he thought they employed 10 year olds.

I'll be looking forward to your critique of the new yarn store in Freeport. Might be worth a trip over.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home